Yachtmaster Offshore – Tidal miles?

What’s required?

If you have been a deck hand during the summer and fancy a better job for 2017, or just fancy doing your Yachtmaster Offshore for either Sail or Power / Motor - but wondering if you have the miles? The MCA requirements are a bit complicated so check you have:

  • at least 1250nm in tidal waters?
  • a total of tidal and non-tidal miles of at least 2500nm?
  • five passages of at least 60nm?
  • two passages as skipper of over 60nm?
  • at least 1250nm on a yacht of less than 24m LOA?

If you can answer yes to all the above questions then you are well on track to complete your Yachtmaster Preparation, take the exam and gain your Certificate of Competence.

what else do I need for Yachtmaster Offshore?

You also need:

  • VHF (SRC) licence (one issued by the RYA, an ROC or GOC is acceptable to the MCA, but the one issued by IYT is not)
  • First Aid (STCW, RYA or similar) - ask the RYA for a list of valid first aid certificates
  • knowledge of RADAR and Diesel engines
  • knowledge of tidal theory to Yachtmaster level - we offer classroom and on line courses if you are a little rusty

I haven’t got the tidal miles or passages – what do I do?

Club Yachting runs mileage weeks in tidal waters for both sail or power (often called motor) throughout the year in the tidal waters of the Canaries.

For sail passages we often use our First 50 - a perfect way to sail the atlantic in a larger, faster yacht - in comfort and style.

For tidal motor miles and passages we use our 15m motor yacht - a perfect and cost effective way to learn about handling a twin engine yacht in comfort (but not to expensive with fuel so we can keep our course prices down and include the fuel).

So if you would like to sail the Canary Islands, taking advantage of the great winter weather why not have a look at our calendars:

Posted in Go Club Yachting! News, RYA MCA Yachtmaster, RYA Motor Cruising, RYA Sailing Courses.