The 3 day First Aid at Work (FAW) course is recommended by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Upon completion of the course you will receive a certificate and are a fully qualified first aider with the skills and confidence to deal with the initial response to any situation. If you are an RYA First Aid Instructor, or wish to become one, then you must hold this certificate (or an equivalent) – see the RYA website for more details.
During the course you will gain the skills and knowledge to administer a variety of first aid techniques – from treating minor wounds to saving the lives of colleagues in life-threatening situations.
The course is HSE recommended and complies with Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations and the approved code of practice L74 guidelines for the qualification of workplace first aiders.
This 3 day course includes course materials, expert tutoring and practical exercises to give you in-depth training which includes:
• Principles of first aid
• Prevention of cross-infection
• Basic life support (CPR)
• Breathing management
• Managing unconscious casualties
• Assessing and treating wounds & bleeds
• Treating anaphylaxis
• Treating shock or sudden poisoning
• Treating burns, poisoning and eye injuries
• Treating common major and minor illnesses
• Managing asthma attacks and choking
• Fractures, dislocations and head injuries
• Managing epilepsy and diabetes
• Record keeping and equipment use
• Legal aspects and secondary surveys
Upon successful completion of the multiple-choice question paper and practical exercises, you receive an Ofqual approved and nationally recognised First Aid at Work certificate, which is valid for 3 years. Please note that this certificate is valid for use as a First Aid course for RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore exams.