We don’t just offer courses in the classroom – on line courses are also available
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those sailors who have already either: gained their Day Skipper Practical course, or have completed the Day Skipper Theory course. It’s suitable for:
- The course utilises the famous Navathome software - so its a world recognised course
- If you are worried about support then one Navathome's approved and experienced instructors will get back to you within 24 hours
- If you need extra support book a day in our classroom at the beginning of your practical course and we will help you (4 hours are included in the cost of the course)
- As soon as we receive your payment you may start work straight away
- You can complete the course on a Mac, PC iPad or any other type of on line device
- We have a 100% pass rate if you complete all the exercises
- Instant on line feed back and answers
- Everything to complete the course is provided
- The course length is typically 60 hours plus the exam
What’s included with the On-Line RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster course fees?
- On line software
- Training charts, plotter
- Training Almanac
- Email and telephone help by qualified instructors
- The exam either on line, or in our classroom in Tenerife
- The option for an additional 4 hours coaching in Tenerife prior to the exam by one of our instructors
What does the course cover?
- Tides: Causes of tides and anomalies, tide tables, tidal levels and datum, standard and secondary ports
- Tidal streams: Sources of information and there use for a course to steer. Tidal rips, overfalls & races
- Position: dead reckoning and estimated position; satellite-derived position; waypoints; RADAR fixes; techniques of visual fixing; fixes using a mixture of position lines; accuracy of differing methods of position lines
- Pilotage: Harbour regulations, use of: clearing lines, soundings, transits and leading lines
IRPCS - A sound knowledge of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea including:
- Buoyage: IALA A and B system, limitations of buoys as navigational aids
- Lights: characteristics, ranges, rising & dipping distances
- Sound signals
GPS and chart plotters:
- Principles of operation & limitations of use
- Charts - Types of charts, chart datum’s, confirmation of position by an independent source & keeping a separate record of position, importance of paper charts
- Electronic equipment - operation and limitations of use
- Echo sounders
- Logs - speed and distance measuring
- Deck log - Importance of log as yachts official document. Layout of log, hourly & occasional entries
- Magnetic compass - variation and deviation (what is the cause and allowances), compass swinging, different types of compasses
- Basic terms, Beaufort scale, Air masses, Cloud types, Weather patterns associated with pressure & frontal systems.
- Sources of weather forecasts. Ability to interpret a shipping forecast, weather fax and weather satellite information.
- Land & sea breezes, Sea fog.
- Use of a barometer as a forecasting aid.
Safety at sea: Personal safety, life jackets & lifelines, fire, distress signals, heavy weather, life rafts, helicopter rescue, vessel capabilities, stability
- Minimising pollution and protecting the environment
Passage Planning and Passage Making
- Preparation of your plan
- Applying the weather to your plan
- Using waypoints, applying CTS etc
How much does it cost?
310 GBP including all the above
Note: postage supplement for outside Europe is 30GBP (sent by courier)
We have chosen Navathome to provide the on-line training course for the RYA Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster, and Yachtmaster Ocean as we think they are the best on-line course provider out there. They are an RYA recognised training centre who quite simply specialise in online training.
The course is fully interactive, and works on PC's, Macs, iPads and tablets (note that the RYA's own plotter which is part of the course doesn't work on mobile devices but this is not an essential part of the course).
When you sign up for the course you have six months to complete it - which is normally plenty of time. If you wish to extend it then it and you have completed 80% of the modules we will pay for the extension (in the unlikely event you haven't got this far then there is a small admin fee to extend).
If you feel that you prefer face to face contact then contact us for details of our classroom courses.
Once you have signed up for the course we also give you a voucher off any Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster week on one of our sailing or motor yachts