This one day course provides an awareness of the main systems of a small marine diesel engine as used on sailing yachts.
Notes: Mechanical failure is the main cause of lifeboat callout to yachts and motor cruisers.
Club Yachting also offers a two day diesel engine course for large diesel engines as used on Motor Cruisers – contact us for more details.
All our courses are run by one of our experienced instructors.
About the course
This one day course takes place on our Volvo-Penta MD20 diesel engine in our classroom.
The engine is a modified marine engine so you can see inside with the cutaways, and enables simple tasks (such as bleeding the injectors and impeller changing) to be carried out.
Ability after course
The ability to take simple measures to prevent mechanical breakdown at sea and rectify defects which do not require workshop support.
The digital version includes animations and extracts from the DVD that accompanies the printed version. The book helps with how diesels work including: fuel; air and cooling systems; as well as a section on the electrical systems; servicing and troubleshooting.
Each topic addresses a particular engine problem, and gives clear step by step instructions with helpful colour photographs and diagrams showing exactly what to do. Straightforward and accessible, the Reeds Diesel Engine Troubleshooting Handbook should be an essential part of any skipper's DIY toolkit - and perfect for slipping in the pocket. Buy Now
As usual with Club Yachting the following is included
- Tuition from an experienced Instructor – we do not use instructors who have just qualified;
- Course notes, paper and pens;
- Tea, coffee, soft drinks and lunch.
Notes: We do not include: flights, travel insurance or evening meals ashore.
Must bring your own
- Medication – If you are taking any medication please advise your Instructor on commencement of the course.
- Health care – Health care in the Canary Islands is good, but it is a good idea to collect the EHIC form from your local post office or online at www.ehic.org.uk.