At Club Yachting we run RYA Competent Crew courses on our sailing yachts every week of the year - in the tidal waters of the Canary Islands.
The Competent Crew is a great hands on course for complete beginners, and an ideal introduction to: cruising, going through the equipment on board while teaching you personal safety, seamanship and helmsmanship to the level required to be a useful member of the crew of a cruising yacht.
With a maximum of 4 students on board our 12m yachts (rather than the RYA recommended 5) you will have plenty of room to move around and also plenty of time with your experienced instructor.
You will be spending the complete week on board the yacht visiting the beautiful areas of the Canaries away from the beaten track.
How many are on board?
We like to make sure you are not crowded and also want to make sure you have plenty of time with your instructor so we offer a:
- MAXIMUM of 3 persons on 10m yachts (like the Bavaria 36)
- MAXIMUM of 4 persons on 12m yachts (like the Sun Odyssey 39i)
- 5 persons if you book the complete yacht for yourself and your friends - the RYA maximum
How long is the course?
We run the course over 6 full days (rather than the RYA's suggested 5 days to give you plenty of time to consolidate) and provide 7 nights accommodation on board.
Ability after course
After this course you will become a useful crew member who is able to helm (steer the yacht), handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day yacht management.
You don't need any experience for this course - just a willingness to learn.
Please note that there is no minimum age for this course - but you will need a willingness to learn, and an ability to understand sailing terminology.
This course can be run along side a RYA Day Skipper, or the RYA Coastal Skipper, course and is perfect for the partner, or under 16’s, who do not wish to do to much.
Written with input from hundreds of experienced instructors, and with tried and tested techniques suitable for most types of cruisers.
Recommended by Club Yachting's instructors for its coverage of the sailing terminology it is an excellent starting point for those undertaking their first boating experience in order to make sense of the first few days on board, as a handy reference book for those returning to the sport after time away from it as well as those who have completed most of their sailing in another language.
This new edition has been updated lots of new illustrations and a complete redesign.
Also included are details of the Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory and also the one-day courses (VHF (SRC), Diesel Engine, First Aid, RADAR, Sea Survival and ISAF which are all available from Club Yachting).
This book informs you of what to expect when taking any RYA sail or motor cruising course and also provides pages for you to log your progress and keep your certificates. Your personal boating experience, from starting out up to RYA Yachtmaster Ocean, will be enhanced by this book.
This book effectively combines, updates and replaces RYA Sail Cruising & Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook (G15) and RYA Motor Cruising & Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook (G18). It also introduces new courses and clarifies pre-exam requirements for all RYA Yachtmaster exams.
Who teaches the RYA Competent Crew course?
What is included?
- Six days of teaching and seven nights accommodation – that extra day helps you consolidate your knowledge, and also we understand that you are on holiday and give you time to relax as well as learn
- Tuition from an experienced Instructor – we do not use instructors who have just qualified
- Light weight waterproof jacket – just in case of the odd wave
- Food and drink on board – breakfast and lunch, evening meals when sailing late and a glass of wine, or a beer after a days sailing
- All mooring fees, gas and diesel – no hidden extras
- Your own berth – no need to share (unless you want to)
- Freshly laundered sheets, duvets and 2 pillows and towels per person – no sleeping bags with liners or any need to bring your own (we suggest you may be able to fly with hand luggage only)
Notes: We do not include: flights, travel insurance or evening meals ashore.
- Sun protection – Sun glasses, sun hat and non oily sun cream (without carotene) are a definite must!
- Music – there is a radio on the boat (most of which have blue-tooth connections for iPods etc).
- Mobile phone charging – There is a 12v “cigarette” style socket on board the yacht which is live even when sailing, and a 240v socket (Spanish type) for when connected to shore power.
- Medication – If you are taking any medication please advise your Instructor on commencement of the course.
- Health care – Health care in the Canary Islands is good, but it is a good idea to access online the EHIC form or collect a copy from from your local post office.
- Seasickness - It is advisable to bring with you a seasickness remedy if you have suffered in the past. There is a local chemist in the town of Las Galletas – ask your Instructor where it is at the Friday night drink.
- Travel insurance – While our boats are insured we do ask you to have your own Travel Insurance and suggest Top Sail if you live in an EU country.
Notes: All bedding, bed linen (sheet, duvet cover and pillow) and a towel are provided. Please make sure that you let us know if you suffer from allergies as we provide feather pillows as standard.
The climate in the Canaries is temperate.
You are recommended to bring with you shorts and t-shirts, a jumper/cardigan, long jeans/trousers and jumper for the odd cooler evening in the winter months, shoes with non-marking bottoms for use on the boat, swimwear and something for dinners ashore. As we provide bedding and towels you don't need to bring much with you - and lots of our sailors manage with hand luggage only!
As the boat has limited storage space a soft sailing bag / holdall is the most suitable luggage (hard suitcases can be stored in our Club House with prior arrangement)
Notes: We lend you a shower / wind proof jacket (normally only needed for the sea spray). Please give it back to us on the Thursday evening.
How much does it cost if I come on my own, with a friend or as a couple?
How much does it cost if I come with a group of friends or my family?
Note: we can mix Competent Crew with Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper courses if you wish