Club Yachting is run by Andy Williams, with help in the office from Janet and in the marina our team of permanent instructors.
Andy has been sailing since he was 8 years old, and spent his teenage years racing in the Solent, competing in the Fastnet race 3 times. After sailing some 40,000 miles he took his Yachtmaster exam a few days after his 18th birthday. Shortly afterwards he became a Yachtmaster Instructor (Sail), After completing a two year YTS apprenticeship with “Britannia Sailing”, he joined the family company “Club Sail” teaching in the Solent. Club Sail grew and became the first ever RYA overseas training school back in 1987 so Andy was roped in – not only to deliver boats between “Club Sail’s” base in the Solent and Tenerife, but also teach in the Canaries.
Andy then decided to take a few years out to become a master boat builder in France before he returned to the company business.
Since then Andy has become a Yachtmaster Instructor (Motor) and Advanced Powerboat Instructor.
When Club Sail and Powerboats stopped trading in the late 90’s Andy set up on his own teaching sailing and powerboating. About five years ago he became an Examiner for the RYA and MCA in Sailing, Motor Cruising and Power boating. A couple of years ago Andy started teaching Motor Cruising courses once again.
As Club Yachting we now offer the full range of RYA Sailing, Motor Cruising and Powerboat courses, as well as the full range of theory courses.
Now based in the picturesque Marina del Sur in the town of Las Galletas (look at the web camera to see the harbour) we are only a short car ride away from Tenerife South airport. In fact you can be on the back of your yacht within 15 minutes of collecting your bags!
Upon arrival at your yacht one of our team will welcome you on board and allocate you a cabin, complete with duvet, feather pillows (non allergic available upon request) and two towels per person (hand and bath towel).
During the week you will visit other islands (La Gomera, La Palma or Gran Canaria; and further afield on milebuilding) and a number of harbours and marinas, before returning to our base at the end of the week.
We are one of the few schools who employ permanent instructors on a full time contract which helps us to continue to improve and expand their skills.
At Club Yachting we are all passionate about sailing and motor cruising, and our mission is to pass this passion onto our customers.
Our aims are to ensure, to the best of our abilities:
– that we offer timely and informative replies to all emails and telephone calls;
– that you are on the most appropriate course to achieve your goals for your time with us;
– for those clients who are chartering from us, that your yacht is handed over to you with all the information you need for a safe and happy charter;
– that your boat is supplied clean, well maintained, with the beds made (duvets, towels and pillows), and with the appropriate safety equipment (including inflating lifejackets and waterproof jackets);
– on both courses and charters we offer an all inclusive price with dingy, outboard, cleaning, bedding, and fuel is included on all our sailing yachts. On Motor Cruising courses fuel is extra, but is only €0.60 per litre.
– for those clients on a course sufficient food on board the boat is included: breakfast, lunch, and evening drinks & snacks – wine, beer and the traditional maritime sundown tipple, a gin and tonic;
– that all yachts are maintained to the highest standards, and inspected by the British Marine Federation (BMF), Marine Leisure Association (MLA) as well as the RYA, British Marine and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and Spanish Marina Mercante; and are legally allowed to operate commercially in Canarian Waters and insured to do so;
– that our staff continue to be developed, trained and improved;
– that you, the customer: enjoy yourself, achieve your goals, recommends us to your friends and come back and sail with us once again!
Above all we want you to feel that you are part of the club with Club Yachting.
Come to Tenerife, Join our Club, Sail in the year round sunshine of the sunny Canary Islands